domingo, 7 de março de 2010

Fast Tip 3: Be careful when correcting a student


Correcting students is complicated. At the same time we have the obligation to show a certain student the right way of saying or writing something we gotta be very careful on the way we do it, otherwise that English learner can feel bad about the whole thing and even get DEmotivated...and of course that's the last thing we all, teachers,want. Motivation is something precious when we're talking about learning a second language and a "small tiny little thing" can affect it. So here are some ways I've been using in class during these 16 years that may help you, and I'm opened for suggestions!!

a) The first thing I do when a student say something wrong is immediately repeat what he/she said in the right way. So that the student doesn't feel he/she's being corrected. For example: A student say "I GO to the beach yesterday". I repeat saying: "Oh, really? You WENT to the beach yesterday...how nice!" Most of the times, the student say: "Oh, yeah..I WENT to the beach yesterday."

b) I always avoid the word "no". When I'm correcting a student I try not to use this word. I use the "technique" above or I say: See, when we're trying to say this we should use that word because...";

c) I always tell my students that this is the time to make mistakes once he/she is there to learn and I also say that it's pretty normal to pronounce/say/write something wrong (it really is!);

d) Pay attention to your body language! Giving that student a smile can make him/her feel better. Nobody likes making mistakes and it's very hard for them to deal with it, especially in large groups when they feel really embarrassed because of the others;

e) When I'm correcting their workbooks or compositions I use a pencil;

f) My students get very disappointed when they can't understand a listening exercise very well. So I give them chances to understand it better and if they still can't I help them with the answer but all the time I emphasize the words they COULD listen to.

Bye, my dear collegues! See you tomorrow!

2 comentários:

  1. When students don't understand a listening exercise is really frustrating... Sometimes, I have them to repeat sentence after sentence. It works. And if there are new words on it, I try to use them before the listening begins.

    Bianca, this is my first visit and I would like to say that your blog is fantastic! Congratulations!

    ResponderExcluir
  2. Hi Filipe!!! Thanks for your great suggestions! It's really nice to have you here!! You're always welcome!

    ResponderExcluir